the scanning technique will vary based on the clinical question.
scan sagittally across the rib spaces at the highest point on the chest realtive to the patient’s postition.
- supine – scan anteriorly.
- erect or semi erect – scan superiorly towards the apices.
- lateral decubitus – scan laterally (basal).
pleural fluid or basal consolidation
- scan the dependant most area in a sagittal or coronal plane.
generally this is posterolaterally.
generalised lung condition (oedema, atelectasis etc)
- follow a systematic protocol of examining both lungs thoroughly.